November 6 Important Update Regarding In Person Worship
November 9, 2020
This past weekend in consultation with our Senior and Junior Warden I made the difficult decision to temporarily suspend in-person worship and reduce in-person groups meeting at SCEC to 10 or fewer people. New Covid-19 infections are rising daily in our county and across Illinois. Our governor and our bishop have both encouraged congregations to return to online worship for the time being to do our part to curb the spread of this virus. The other members of our Vestry also support this decision as an act of precaution for our community and to be a part of the solution to curb the spread Covid-19 of in the wider community.
Here is what this looks like practically speaking for us:
Worship and Prayer
1) Beginning on November 15th through at least December 20th, 2020 the Holy Eucharist will be celebrated online only at 9:30A.M.
3) Services will be broadcast from our sanctuary and will include instrumental and recorded music.
4) The only people present for worship will be clergy and ministers assisting in the conduct of worship. The total number will not exceed 10 persons. We will all be wearing face masks and physically distanced by a minimum of 6 feet.
5) We will have a weekly sign-up for Home Holy Communion to be picked up each Sunday between 11:00A.M. and 11:30A.M. from our back parking lot. If you would like delivery of Home Holy Communion, please contact our parish administrator, Kim Cole no later than Thursday at noon at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone 630-584-2596.
It is very important that you sign up so we have the proper number of World Communion Cups consecrated at that morning’s Holy Eucharist. Sign up HERE to pick up Home Holy Communion. For more information about the World Communion Cup: https://wccups.com/
6) Advent Lessons and Carols originally scheduled for Sunday evening December 6th at 5PM is still planning to be held online. See future emails for more information.
7) Christmas Eve service details are still to be determined.
8) Christmas Day we will celebrate Morning Prayer together via Zoom at 10AM from our homes. See future emails for more information.
9) We will continue to pray Compline together via Zoom on Thursday nights at 8:30P.M. to 9:00P.M. This is an opportunity for brief fellowship as well as prayer. https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82917683846?pwd=QkZ0MVp4WDNtTndlZms2L2FrV3AvUT09
Meeting ID: 829 1768 3846, Passcode: 619810
Parish Office and Pastoral Care:
1) Our parish office will be open Monday thru Thursday 9:30A.M. to 2:30P.M. However, please call ahead if you plan to come by the building to make an appointment with our parish administrator. And please remember that face masks and physical distancing are required.
2) As our Rector and priest I am available for pastoral care via phone and zoom. Simply call the parish office at 630-584-2596 to set up an appointment. My work week is Sunday through Thursday.
3) At this time I will be limiting in-person pastoral care to emergencies only and evaluating each of those requests on a case-by-case basis in regard to Covid-19 precautions.
Education, Formation, and Fellowship Opportunities
1) We have many opportunities for fellowship, education, and formation each week. Please read your weekly Pulse and Vital Signs newsletters for the most up to date information. If you have any questions, please contact Kim or myself at the parish office and we will help you be in touch with those parishioners organizing these opportunities.
2) Our High School youth class will continue to meet in person on Sunday mornings at 11AM with a group of no more than 10 total. This will be evaluated on an ongoing basis.
3) All other youth classes have moved to Zoom.
4) If you would like to host and arrange another fellowship activity, please contact Kim or Rev. Stacy at the parish office for assistance.
Administration and Giving
1) All of our administrative ministries including Vestry and Finance Committees will continue to meet via Zoom or other video conferencing platforms.
2) Thank you for your generosity and faithfulness in continuing to support the mission and ministry of SCEC with your financial gifts. We continue to accept checks via mail, dropped off with prior arrangement at parish office, or when you come to receive drive-up Home Holy Communion. You can also make a gift online HERE. If you are giving online, thank you for your consideration of giving a bit extra to cover transaction fees.
Outreach Ministries and Outside Groups
1) There are currently four AA groups meeting at SCEC, all will be a group of 10 or fewer persons. We are grateful to be able to continue to provide limited space for this important service in the wider community.
2) Our Curbside Free Spaghetti Dinner (FSD) for November has been canceled. We will re-evaluate the December 20th FSD in mid-December.
3) Other outreach ministries such as Hesed House have been operating out of parishioner homes and limited to each family doing food prep since March.
1) Prayer requests for the parish prayer list can be emailed to email@example.com.
2) The Daughters of the King also maintains a confidential prayer list, send prayer requests to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Additional reminders for living faithfully in this pandemic:
1) Face masks are required for all in-person gatherings at SCEC and at all ministry locations, including outdoors.
2) If you feel unwell, please stay home, and seek medical advice.
3) Please maintain a six-foot minimum physical distance when in-person.
4) Wash your hands frequently for 20 seconds at a time.
5) If you receive a contact tracing call, please answer the phone or return the call.
6) Be kind and courteous to everyone you meet, speak to on the phone, or encounter on social media. This is a difficult time for everyone in the human race.
7) Remember to pray and ask God for guidance as to how to live faithfully today.
8) If you need help of any kind, even if you are not sure what you need, please do not hesitate to reach out to me, to a trusted friend, or to a hotline such as one of these listed on the Illinois Department of Health website. https://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=123539
I also ask for your assistance at this time in staying connected with one another. I invite each of you to call three fellow parishioners by the end of November. In particular, pick up the phone and call someone you haven't talked to recently. Or, send a note to someone in the mail. If you need a directory, please contact Kim and she will be happy to assist you. These small acts of care and concern go a long way in helping others feel loved. And, you might just find you feel loved and cared for as well by reaching out and making that call. God is found most deeply in our relationships with one another. And we could all use a little reminder of God’s abiding presence and love right about now!
I am so blessed to be your priest and pastor during this pandemic. I pray for you all and miss you dearly. May the peace of Christ Jesus which passes all understanding be yours today, friends, and always.
Church Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/StCharlesEpiscopalIL/
Church YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkOLnNX1LQtRJKXJi1h_QBw